Law Offices of Thomas C. Mooney - Criminal Defense
Call Today for a FREE Consultation 301-579-3429

You may lose custody of your kids if you're convicted of a crime

When it comes to child custody, courts always look at what's in your son or daughter's best interest. Courts examine a variety of factors to conclude whether a child will be safe in a parent's home. Some of the factors that an Upper Marlboro judge is likely to take into account is the proximity of the parent's house to the child's school and other family members and their living preferences depending on their age. Other considerations include whether the parent has a history of alcohol or drug abuse or domestic violence or if they have any criminal convictions.

Courts want children to have a stable home environment. If there is evidence of domestic violence, discipline issues or drug, alcohol, emotional or physical abuse, then the court may view a parent's home as unsafe. If you, as a parent, have a conviction on your record for drug possession, then the court may presume that you have a drug dependency problem. Driving under the influence (DUI) convictions could lead a Maryland judge to believe that a parent abuses alcohol.

If a judge sees a domestic violence conviction on your record, then they may deem you unfit to have custody of a child, and in some cases, even terminate your parental rights.

There may be some conditions associated with your supervised release if you're on probation or parole that may interfere with your custodial responsibilities.

Not all criminal convictions are treated equally in the court's eyes.

A family law judge may look at an older conviction and take it to mean that you've put your past behind you and turned over a new leaf. Any conviction that isn't for a drug, alcohol or violence-related offense may have less impact on your child custody rights than other crimes do.

You have a lot more to lose than just your freedom if you're charged with or convicted of a crime. You could end up unable to gain or retain custody of your child. You may even have to give up your parental rights. You need to have a criminal defense attorney who can come up with aggressive defense strategies that work representing you in your Upper Marlboro case if you want to retain custody of your kids.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Maryland Association For Justice The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers National Association of Distinguished Counsel | Nation's Top One Percent Top Lawyers This is to certify that Thomas C. Mooney has been chosen as a top lawyer in Washingtonian Magazine in 2015
Super Lawyers

Contact Us

14750 Main Street, Suite C
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Phone: 301-579-3429
Fax: 240-363-0051
Upper Marlboro Law Office Map